[Matter] Container Scaling and Offsets

Why does calling setScale on a gameObject added from a container re-scale the display size of the container? For example, consider:

this.container = game.add.container(this.position.x,this.position.y);
[...create and position a bunch of sprites...]
this.container.add([sprite1,sprite2,sprite3]);
this.bounds = this.container.getBounds();
this.container.setSize(this.bounds.width,this.bounds.height);
this.physicsContainer = game.matter.add.gameObject(this.container);
this.container.scale = 0.5;
this.physicsContainer.setScale(0.25);

This re-sizes the display of the sprites in the container, where I don’t necessarily want that. I may want a container to to be bigger than its collision rect, but physicsContainer.setScale overrides anything I do for the container itself.

Intended? Workaround? Perhaps I should set the bounds manually on the physics rect, or use some other method to assign it’s size?

I’m new to matter and phaser3, so be gentle.

So, to reply to myself, I figured this out. However, another, bigger issue, is one described here:

It’s flagged as fixed, which it may be for single sprites, but there’s an issue assembling sprites into a container.

Even when using physicsEditor export directly, and doing nothing else but using a container (in a fashion shown in the OP). I imagine I need a render offset in the case of a container. The containers calculated centerOfMass is 0 so I can’t offset using that, it’s unassignable, and segmenting rendering and physics shapes in phaser3 is rather obfuscated, even in the documentation.

Here’s an example image:

The code is simple:

this.position = {x:800,y:800};
this.container = game.add.container(this.position.x,this.position.y);
this.collisionMesh = game.cache.json.get('support-collision-mesh');
this.body = game.add.sprite(0,0,'support-body');
this.container.add([this.body,anothersprite,anothersprite,etc]);
game.matter.add.gameObject(this.container, { shape: this.collisionMesh.body} );

I figured if I could set the displayOrigin on the container I could fix it, but the docs say do not touch, and the attributes are read-only. Even if I remove all the parts on the chopper, and just render the body inside a container, the result is similar, so I don’t think it’s the container size shifting this wrongly; it happens when body is the only sprite in the container as well.

Not sure where to go from here?

edit: this is phaser 3.19 by the way.

Maybe a container would help.

this.player1 = this.add.container(this.centerX, this.centerY);
  this.player1.setSize(125, 125);
  var base = this.add.image(this.centerX - 500, this.centerY - 340, 'base1');
  var hat = this.add.image(this.centerX - 500, this.centerY - 340, 'hat1');
  this.player1.add(base);
  this.player1.add(hat);