Spine vs Tweens (Conceptualization Question)

I’ve made a basic five reel slot machine. In the process I discovered the power of Spine (so easy to set sound events) and have animated all of the symbols. My question is can Spine sprites somehow be used with regular tweens?

Something like:

var symbol = this.add.spine(200, 200, 'symbol', 'idle', true)
var reel1pos1 = symbol.setAnimation(0, 'static', false)
var stopReel1pos1Tween = this.tweens.create({ targets: reel1pos1, x: 50, y: 50, duration: stopDuration, ease: 'Back', easeParams: [.5], repeat: 0 })

What my plan now for refactoring things now is to combine a normal sprite of the symbol, and then when animation is needed to setAlpha(0), play the Spine animation, and then toggle the alphas of each again to get back to the normal sprite underlying.

Does this make sense, or if I am using Spine, should I just tween everything there?

I use setTexture() to update the results of each spin with the correct symbol, but with Spine it seems the only way to do something like this would be with setSkin. It just seems more like a workaround and no simpler than just have a dedicate sprite and tween for the static images of the symbols.