Tips for improving character physics?

I’m currently using Arcade. My main character’s jump is a bit too floaty. The physics just don’t feel good and they don’t feel very flexible.

Any tips or examples for improving character movement?

Increase the world’s gravity. It will reduce the floaty effect.

One thing to be careful of, is if your character is moving too fast and a bound is too thin, your character could potentially pass right through the bound. I haven’t found a fix for this, so I moved over to the Planck physics engine.

Increasing gravity doesn’t change much.

you can use ray cast to check that

never used arcade physics but i think somehow you’ve set character’s jump option. Check the values, maybe value of y velocity is too big ?

How does it not remove the floaty effect? If you change gravity to a very high amount, your character should only be in the air for a fraction of a second.

I don’t want my character to have a short jump. I just want the jump to not feel like it’s floating. There is a difference.

When it reaches the top of the jump, it seems to hover and float and you can even move it side to side like a zig-zag.

Gotcha. In that case increase the gravity to a very high amount and also equally increase the jump velocity. This will make it so your character reaches the same height he did before, but will very quickly hit the ground thereafter. In addition to this, disable movement along the x axis, so he cannot zig-zag. This should make movement feel much less floaty.

If you’re still having issues, just set up an example on codepen.io or a similar online code-editor and I’ll jump in and and tweak some values to show you what I mean.

1 Like

Yes, use both high acceleration (or velocity) and high gravity (or drag).