Browser performance Issue

Hi,
I am seeing some strange issues with my Phaser 3 game. Im running version 3.6 on the latest chrome. Basically, if I’m reading the profiler correctly, it seems like occasionally an “Animation Frame Fired” event is missed, or is erratically fired. The frame update and render times appear to be running fast enough ~< 1ms, there is just too much time before the next Animation Frame is fired, which is causing frameskips. Please see image. I’m running the game with all default fps settings in the Phaser config. The game is running on a 120hz monitor. If anyone could send me in the right direction, i would much appreciate it. please let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers!

Edit: I also seem to get the issue on Firefox and Edge.

It does seem odd. What does Chrome’s FPS meter show?

It hovers slightly below the monitor refresh rate, no matter what its set to, so at 240, it sits around 190-200 and 120 - around 110, missing frames pretty much constantly. Interestingly, it always stays yellow, which i thought meant that it never actually completes a frame.

After some more searching, i have managed to prevent the issue by turning off all adaptive sync functionality in windows and on my monitor. once i do that, the game runs pretty much at the monitor’s refresh rate, maybe drops one frame every few seconds.The FPS meter still stays yellow though, even though i tested some other engines and the fps meter goes blue, i dont know if that is relevant.
So i have a solution, the question I would have now is if there is a way that Phaser can prevent this ? The issue seems more prominent in phaser than engines like pixi, but i don’t know if that is just a coincidence, because it was such a strange issue.

From a setup perspective, I’m running Windows 11, latest update i9-13900HK, with Geforce 4090 (latest drivers). 2 monitors (laptop and samsung g9, running at 240 (or 120 - the issue is on both refresh setups)

Thanks again for any support in advance.
Steve

That sounds about normal but I don’t know about the yellow FPS meter either.

See the notes on VSYNC in Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests - Check Web Browser VSYNC Support .

You can check Frame Rate Distribution (click on requestAnimationFrame at top) directly.

I don’t know if there’s much to be done in Phaser because it relies on getting animation frames from the browser.

Ok thanks for the input.