iOS 15 performance drop

I am quiet curious what is the root cause of this. Apparently we was lucky with batchSize fix working for us (about 30 games, all 100% fixed with just the batch size, on 3.52) but others wasn’t that lucky.

1 Like

I did see a massive performance improvement on iOS 15.4.1/Safari 15.4 from setting antialiasGL: false, in a set of games using Phaser 3.22.0.

But performance wasn’t what motivated this; I didn’t even realize it was a problem. When iOS 15.4.1 dropped, we started having textures just go missing, which triggered user reports, while the slowness that was present in earlier iOS 15 versions didn’t generate any reports. Setting antialiasGL: false brought them back!

(Note that this missing texture issue also seems to affect M1 Macs on macOS 12.3.1.)

I don’t really see any effect from changing the batchSize, though, on my iPhone 11 Pro and original iPad Pro. Tried going down to 128 and up to 4096 and it didn’t seem to have any noticeable impact on either device.

1 Like

I’m aware this thread is old, but this it’s worth mentioning anyway - I’ve just published v3.60 Beta 11 to GitHub and npm, and the main focus was on performance, both on mobile and desktop, and it’s quite simply the fastest version it has ever been (including faster than the v3.22 days). So if you’ve still got a live project and can upgrade, I would definitely recommend doing so.

3 Likes