New to Phaser - Excited [long intro post]

Top of the morning to you!

I’m Newer to game development and just doing it for a hobby for some funzies (unless i make that next big hit then i’ll take the monzies too)

TL;DR - Cant wait to make games

HISTORY TIME!

I’ve always been in to web development but never really followed it for a career because i thought you needed a fancy university certificate and had to be a super math genius.

One day i found out this was not true and started self learning, I learnt HTML (layouts were done using tables back then) and CSS (just before CSS3 came out)

For some reason i never learnt Javascript. I learn bits and pices of jquery but then heard about ajax and js and it was all too much. I found a website and started learning php and mysql and looooved it but then one day, i just stopped.

A few years later my interest came back but i had forgotten most of what i had known. I found a online computer science uni course and signed up and was taught Java. We made programs that ran through the console and the next semester was to be GUI programs but then i had personal issues and dropped out.

was about 3 - 4 years later i finally was able to get back into it but i had forgotten what i learnt and couldnt really continue on.

…I’m now 37 and i had a little break down of my life going nowhere jumping from job to job never happy and someone said… ‘why not do what you want to do’… i said its too late to career change… and then someone said… you’ve still got like 20+ years of work until retirement.

So thinking about that lit a fire up under me and i have now been self teaching myself for the last 2 - 3 months and realizing the world is different now.

I’ve decided to learn

• HTML5
  • Css3 (Sass i heard i want too)
  • Javascript (typescript i hear i want too),
  • React or Angular or both
  • Node JS
  • ExpressJs ??, the node framework

and i think with this skill set i would be hire-able one day soon i hope. im thinking i might need a year of study and portfolio building.

Any how, Whilst learning javascript i started to dabble into games and make a pong and breakout and loved it so on the side as a hobby i would love to learn game dev.

I have stumbled across phaser and downloaded the docs and looking through them now, it seems quite nice. I hear i should stick with phaser 3 and not 2 so thats what im looking into.

Just thought i’d say hi and tell my story as i’ll probs be around a while. I’ve looked into unity and godot and used gdevelop but something makes me want to use phaser and Javascript. so here goes, hope it is fun and not too much of a struggle :slight_smile:

Nice to meet ya all

9 Likes

Nice man!

Good to hear your doing something you enjoy : )

Welcome to the community!

congrats! Happy to hear you realized it is never too late to do what you really want to do!