Occasional Load to Black Screen in Non-Firefox Browsers

I’m doing my first project in Phaser 3 (3.22.0) and am running into a strange issue in browsers other than Firefox (so far Chrome and Safari).

Occasionally, when I reload the page, either when running on a local server or on a web server, the game loads as a blank, black screen. Even after allowing the page to load for minutes, the screen remains black. There are no errors in the console, and I’m not able to reproduce the problem consistently. Sometimes, refreshing from the black screen loads the game normally, and sometimes it reloads into the black screen.

I’m guessing that this has something to do with the browser cache, as I’ve never had this issue when loading in a new browser for the first time or immediately after clearing the cache. However, I’m not sure of this. Is there a way to force the browser not to pull from cache? Why would this not be happening in Firefox?

It may or may not be relevant to know that the project includes a number of videos (total around 150MB).

Please let me know if you have any insight into what might be going wrong here, or if I can provide additional information about my situation that would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!

I’ve had that problem in Safari. The video never loads completely somehow.

Glad to know I’m not the only one! Any fixes or workarounds that you know of?

I don’t know. no-cache doesn’t seem to prevent it. I think it happened only for for Reload Page (⌘R).

1 Like

You said you’ve only seen this in Safari, right? I’m wondering why it’s also happening in Chrome for me, but not Firefox. I can tell my users not to access in Safari, but barring two major browsers or requiring Firefox might be a bit much.

I didn’t try it in Chrome.

What are your local and remote web servers btw?

Using a MAMP Apache server for running locally, not sure about the type of remote web server (I’m not an admin and can’t figure out how to find out with my permissions) but can ask around.

I’m using http-server locally, so I guess it’s a Safari thing.

1 Like

I have the same problem - I have 6 small videos and some load and some dont - I have not been able to resolve this issue - any help with this would be appreciated !

1 Like