[Phaser 3] [Tutorial] [WIP] Monster Tamer - RPG Tutorial Series

Hi Everyone.

Recently, I have been working on a video tutorial series that shows how to build a Pokemon like RPG game with Phaser 3. The series is meant to be as beginner friendly as possible, and so the series is written in vanilla JavaScript with no build tools.

In the series, I cover the following:

• Battles: Learn how to create dynamic and engaging turn-based battles between players and wild monsters. Implement health bars, attacks, and special moves.
  • Encountering Wild Monsters: Design a system that allows players to stumble upon wild monsters in the game world, just like in Pokémon.
  • Player Input: Master the art of handling user input for character movement, menu navigation, and decision-making.
  • Collisions: Ensure that your characters and monsters interact realistically with the game environment, including walls, obstacles, and other objects.
  • Animations: Bring your game to life with smooth animations for characters, monsters, and special effects.
  • Creating the Level: Build immersive game levels, complete with towns, forests, caves, and more.
  • Saving and Loading Data: Implement a save system so players can continue their adventure where they left off.
  • Interacting with Game Objects: Enable players to interact with NPCs, items, and other elements in the game world.
  • Game Events: Create engaging storylines and events that unfold as players progress through the game.
  • And much more!

If anyone has any questions, suggestions, or general feedback, just let me know!

2 Likes

For anyone that is interested, I have created a page on Itch.io that has a playable demo of the game we will be building in the tutorial series. You can find the demo here: Monster Tamer by galemius

Also, the source code for the game can be found on GitHub here: GitHub - devshareacademy/monster-tamer: A Pokemon like game created using Phaser 3