Player and ball sticking together with arcade physics

I have created a game in Phaser 3 which is an arcade soccer-like game where there are two players who are trying to get a ball into the other’s goal. The physics setup I have is pretty simple, I have the players as square physics sprites and the ball is a circular physics object. I only have one custom collider in my game, which is used for a “power” where the player can place a forcefield that repels the ball. Things work ok generally but interactions between the player and the ball are buggy pretty often. For example, if the ball is traveling away from the player and they collide with it then I would expect the ball to continue travelling in that direction but the ball will get “stuck” to the player. Here’s what I am talking about: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I am trying to figure out how to make the ball more responsive to collisions with the player - I have noticed that if I set the ball to be a square instead of a circle then the issue improves slightly but it still feels like the ball is “sticky” instead of properly bouncing off and traveling with the player.

I have tried increasing the physics FPS and fiddling with the overlap bias but the problem persists.