Spine mesh-deformations not possible in Canvas-mode?

Hi,

I’m extremely glad about Spine support in Phaser3, and all in all it’s working like a charm :slight_smile: .

There is just one thing I wonder about: Spine-elements with mesh deformations are rendered and animated fine in WebGL, but are not being displayed at all in Canvas mode. At least that’s what I am experiencing, everything else being the same. Perhaps it makes sense, like if mesh deformations require 3D operations only WebGL is capable of. On the other hand, I never read about functionality differences between Spine on WebGL and Canvas, anywhere, and I read all the devlogs about Spine in Phaser.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with mesh deformations in Spine canvas?

Some quick searching led me to issue #750 on the Spine runtimes’ repository. The issue mentions a setting which is also mentioned in the readme of the JavaScript runtimes:

spine-ts Canvas does not support color tinting, mesh attachments and clipping. Only the alpha channel from tint colors is applied. Experimental support for mesh attachments can be enabled by setting spine.canvas.SkeletonRenderer.useTriangleRendering to true. Note that this method is slow and may lead to artifacts on some browsers.

Supposedly, this could allow you to use meshes with the canvas renderer, but I’ve never used or looked at the Spine plugin, so I can’t give you any advice on how to change the setting in question.

That’s very interesting! Thank you! Fortunately, I can do without mesh attachments (& deformations). I just wondered if it might be something really simple I was missing, but as you and your search result reveal it’s not really something the Spine Canvas runtimes are capable of.

Thank you very much!