[WIP] [Phaser 3] Discus

I am an artist and graphic designer by trade, so I apologize for getting any programming terminology incorrect.

In June I taught myself Javascript to help me create Extension Panels for Adobe products (specifically Photoshop). I have found learning JS fun and a good time to learn since social distancing during this health crisis. I have always loved video games, but never had a chance to create one (I have designed boardgames and RPGs). What attracted me to Phaser was the examples page. It was reminiscent of arcade artwork and the way graphics were handled back then. So, I thought I should try to make something.

So, after a month of learning JS and couple of weeks researching anything I can find on Phaser I got to this point:

Discus - hero test

Using a gamepad, specifically the dual analog you can walk around, target, and throw. Fhew, it was quite an adventure to get to this point. It doesn’t do anything else yet.

I have a working version of the game located here:
Discus - Game

Hit each other with discs for points before the time runs out. For now, this is a local multiplayer game that only uses gamepads.

Works best with xbox type controllers.
Left Analog, move
Right Analog, aim
R1, throw discus
L1, quick return discus (with cool down)
R2, invincible dash (with cool down)

Beginning menus, use D-Pad
A - select option
B - return to player select

There is a ‘goofy foot’ control scheme that only uses left stick for both move and aim. At that part of the menu use Y to change scheme

Start - start game

It will play as long as the timer goes, when it hit zero it will reset back to menu. The game acts a bit wonky at that point (need to add winner screen, etc, reset was a quick thing)

Reload page to get a stable setting.

Thanks in advance for trying it. I am learning as I go, again, I taught myself JS in June, so the code could be a bit more streamlined.

Phaser.js has been a wonderful and frustrating framework to work with!