Blurry / Rippling / Wavy effect on Sprite when rotating + rotating around objects

I’m working a project set in space where I have a space station (and planets and other bodies) orbiting a star and also rotating. Here’s a quick example:

rippling

As you can see, while the sprite rotates and orbits (using sprite.rotation += and RotateAroundDistance()) there is a rippling/wavy effect. What can I do to mitigate this visual artifact for a clean looking rotation and orbit?

The above is shown at a camera zoom level of 1 and sprite scale at 1, although, I was planning on being able to zoom in/out and have bodies at different sizes. In addition, the sprite asset is exported at 2560x2560, but is drawn at 256px.

In my config I have roundPixels: false, pixelArt: false, and antialias: true - which I believe are the settings I want (I think? roundPixels: false means textured game objects are drawn at non-whole integer positions and antialias: true means WebGL uses linear interpolation. I believe these are the settings I want for smooth, crisp looking sprite rotation and orbiting?). I have played around with those values, but it hasn’t changed the outcome.

How do 2D games normally achieve smooth rotation and movement with minimal visual artifacts?

The mipmap filter setting may help, but I think it requires power-of-two texture dimensions.

Thanks for sharing. I think I looked at this and thought it was set by default, but i see now there are more options.

I reduced the sprite back down to 256x256 and the mipmap filter made it significantly better. Even without the mipmap filter change it looked a lot better. There must have been another setting I changed after increasing my sprite size 10x when I should have tried it with the original 256 size.

However, with the mipmapfilter set I noticed that upon camera zooming out, my “Star” - which was set as a sprite with a generated texture via a graphics object (just a random solid color) would disappear. Zooming in again would make it reappear.

Most likely I’ll end up using some sort of sprite I make by hand, but now I have additional questions:

• Why would the sprite, using a graphic.generateTexture() disappear? Also to note - if I use sprite.texture.setFilter(LINEAR) it does not disappear.

• Can you set the mipmapfilter on individual game objects vs. at the global game config level?

• Is this what sprite.texture.setFilter() does? If so, why does it only accept NEAREST or LINEAR and not the other options?