Is Phaser a fitting choice for my "create a character" game?

Hello,

I desperately need help with the question which framework or game engine fits my project. Phaser looks promising, so I hope it is okay to ask this here. :slight_smile:

It’s about my Flash website https://www.sp-studio.de/ I run since 2002 as a hobby. Right now I am preparing a “non Flash remake” because Flash will not be supported anymore after December 31st. The problem is… I am no developer (I just know HTML, CSS and a tiny bit of ActionScript). There are so many engines and frameworks that I am not sure which would be a fitting choice. And I cannot search for a developer to help me before I know what I need. The first suggestion I got was Angular. Other were React, Unity and Phaser. Of course I started reading about them, but if you don’t now anything about all of this coding topic it is very difficult to decide.

The main details about my project are:

• It’s a basic browser game. You just combine 2D items from multiple categories to create a cartoon character. Then you save the picture. No animation, no sound, but a ton of image files. There are some functions to recolor, move or flip items. Most of them can be seen in the current Flash version, but I’ll upload a concept for the new look as well.
  • A good support of vector files is most important because I need the option to easily change colors for a specific part of an image. I already converted my old Flash files to svg files. Is it possible with Phaser to refer to symbol IDS in svg files?
  • It should be possible to export the picture you created as a .jpg or .png file. I guess this works like a screenshot function.
  • It should scale with the screen size (with breakpoints or responsive). This was a problem with Angular, so I wonder if it is easier with Phaser? While the UI scaled nicely the canvas with the svg items could not do this because they would not keep their positions.
  • It should still work in 10 years (not like Flash)… :wink:

Do you think Phaser would be a good choice for me if these are the most important points about my project? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for any advise!

I would look at Ruffle. No perfect actionscript 3 yet, but your app should be no problem.
If you want to convert code yourself, maybe go with Fabric.
Phaser is not very useful for scaling SVG. Things would get blurry…

Thank you very much! I will look into both of them. I guess since vector images are such an important aspect for me they would indeed be the better choice then.

You can also try CreateJS. It is supported by Adobe and works with vector graphics directly. I have used it multiple times to convert animations from Flash to html5.

Thank you, I will have a look at this as well!