PixelArt: Making it work

I wanted to start a discussion on Pixel Art Phaser games. How do you you find the Phaser 3 engine affects your workflow? Is the “PixelArt” attribute enough? How do you combine pixel art and non-pixel art assets?

For myself, I find that most of the time, I stick to pixel art and I just use it with no real issues, unless I try to add in UI assets that aren’t pixel art. Then they tend to get strange look to them that just doesn’t quite fit. It’s not enough to not use them, but it is enough to be kind of annoying. That being said, I love being able to find assets and just use them, with very little hassle.

I’m also making a pixelart game and combining pixelart with high res GUI elements will never look quite right imho.

Even some high profile games like and Shantae and Celeste combine high-res with pixel art, and although everything is high quality, it still breaks the aesthetic I think. It would look better if it’s just pixelart all the way, including GUI elements. Look at pretty much every game by Nitrome which are very good examples of pixelart done right.

Also, here’s an old but really good article Going Old School: Making Games With a Retro Aesthetic which describes how to do retro aesthetics in a consistent way.