Point A Noob in the Right Direction: Essential Tutorials

Hello everyone. I just finished the “Getting Started” and “Making Your First Game” tutorials for Phaser. But then it basically just says to check out the thousands of tutorials/examples available. That’s kind of intimidating to me and I was hoping some of you could point me towards some more essential beginner tutorials to do.

I’d like to learn more about the core lifecycle of Phaser and all the main functions being called in the game loop. Also, what I should be doing for properly managing assets and game logic and stuff like that. The first two Phaser tutorials were great, but I just feel like I’m being thrown into the ocean after just learning to swim with floaties.

Any tutorial recommendations are appreciated. I prefer written tutorials, but video tutorials are fine too. My goal is to make a top-down 2d rpg so anything in relation to that is great too. Thanks!

Edit: Also, what’s up with their tutorial section on the website? It’s literally just a gigantic list in chronological order where I have to keep flipping through pages. There’s no search and no filter. No grouping of tutorials into topics. Can’t really get anymore barebones than that.

1 Like

I think the only other essential tutorials are the scenes guides in #119 and #121. For your top-down game check out the Tilemaps series.

2 Likes

Hi @learis,

If you haven’t seen these sites yet, there are plenty of written tutorials available:

1 Like