[Phaser 3 - WIP] Ninja Gaiden 3½ (fan game prototype)

First and foremost: If fangames that utilize assets from existing video game companies are not allowed in this forum, please let me know so I can remove this topic.

This began as a “vacation” project, and it is still far from finished. However, since vacation is ending and I’m returning soon to my day job, my progress on it will surely slow down. So, I decided to share its current state with the community. It is open source and uses a permissive license (MIT).

It is basically a remake of “Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom”, in the same pixel art style as in the good old NES, but with widescreen display and local multiplayer (up to 4 players) in mind.

I’ve decided to do this project with two goals in mind:

1. Teach myself some TypeScript;
  2. “Test the waters” and see if, in the future, I can dedicate myself to a real indie game project (so, I thought that remaking my favorite game from my teen years would be a good starting point).

The original game is comprised of 7 Acts, most of them with “sublevels”. This remake currently covers only the first “sublevel” of Act II. My intention is to complete at least the whole of Act II, including the boss fight.

Not sure about remaking the whole thing, because it will probably depend on how satisfied and motivated I feel with the results, and of course, if I don’t get a C&D letter from TECMO.

GitHub page: GitHub - AxeLanderMoreira/ninja-gaiden-3.5-prototype: Prototype Remake of NES' Ninja Gaiden III using HTML5 (Phaser 3 + TypeScript)
Self-hosted live demo: Ninja Gaiden Canvas Prototype
Screenshot:

2 Likes

It plays very nicely.

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ve began coding my prototype trying first to get the Ninja’s state machine and physics right, attempting to mimic as faithfully as possible the original game on NES, going back and forth between emulator and remake.

There are a few moves and tricks yet to be implemented (grabbing ledges, jumping down from semi-solid platforms, etc) but I’m satisfied with the result so far.

This whole effort makes me appreciate even more what the old programmers could do with just assembly code and fixed point math on an 8-bit CPU, and how much easier it is to do now, with modern tools and fast PC’s.

Quicksand seems accurate.